The plaque at Beacon Rock in the Columbia Gorge. The plaque reads:
Lewis and Clark The Biddle Family
Beacon Rock was first described and named
by Captains Lewis and Clark October 31, 1805,
enroute to the Pacific Ocean.
Henry J. Biddle purchased Beacon Rock in 1915
to preserve it for posterity and completed
the trail in 1918. His son Spencer and daughter
Rebecca Biddle Wood gave this historic landmark
to the State of Washington in 1935 to create
Beacon Rock State Park.
An ancestor, Nicholas Biddle of Philadelphia,
edited the first (1814) edition of the
Lewis and Clark journals.
Dedicated July 28, 1973 by the
Lewis and Clark Committees of Washington and Oregon.
Return to 29th Annual Meeting Report
August 27, 1997
Send Questions, Comments and Corrections to